Some mornings at our house are just plain busy. Most days we always have time to eat a healthy balanced breakfast but let's face it, sometimes we all have those "grab and go" mornings. Rather than fill our tummies with Pop Tarts and Toaster Strudels, I whipped up these Hearty Breakfast Muffins to get our bodies moving on the way out the door. Packed with bananas, carrots, oats, walnuts, coconut, raisins, chia seeds, yogurt, and whole wheat, these muffins are nutty and just slightly sweet.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 carrots, washed and shredded (leave skin on for extra vitamins!)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (use vanilla flavor yogurt if you want some extra sweetness)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 TBLS Chia seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease regular size muffin tin or use paper inserts.
2. In a mixer, mix eggs, bananas, Greek yogurt and vegetable oil till blended.
3. To the mixer add brown sugar, oats, coconut, raisins, walnuts, Chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt. Mix until blended.
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until all the flour is incorporated.
6. Fill muffin tin using a 1/4 cup mixture for each section.
7. Bake for 15 min and allow muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the pan.