My kids are always asking for those comfort baked goods and usually I'm pretty happy to oblige. Lately though, my husband and I have been trying to eat healthier so when the kids came calling this week I wanted to see if I could come up with a healthier alternative. I noticed that I had some zucchini in the fridge that I needed to use up so I decided to turn my Classic Zucchini Bread recipe into a hearty portion-sized snack! With the added whole wheat flour, honey, and healthy seeds for extra fiber, iron, and calcium, there's less guilt when you want to treat yourself to something fresh out of the oven.
Ingredients: (Makes approx. 24 muffins)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 t. vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup Health Seed Mix (Flax, Chia, Hemp)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
2. In mixing bowl sift together dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, white flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves). Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, honey, sugar, and oil until there are no lumps. On the lowest mixer setting, stir in the shredded zucchini, yogurt, vanilla, and seeds.
3. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with the mixture and bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 3-5 minutes before removing the muffins and placing the muffins on a rack to cool.
Click HERE for more recipes from Our Southern Style!