This past Monday, the kids and I headed off to Orr's, one of our local farmer's markets, to pick up some fresh fruits and vegetables and of course we had to take the opportunity to pick some delicious, end-of-the-season blackberries!
We picked enough berries to enjoy some right from our fingers to our tummies and also enough to make some homemade blackberry preserves!
- 4 cups washed and dried blackberries
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 TBLS corn starch
- Using a potato/bean masher or blender mash up the blackberries (I throw mine in my blender and just pulse a few times).
- Toss the berries, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until boiling.
- Turn heat to low.
- Take 2 TBLS of the hot mixture and combine it in a separate dish with the cornstarch unit it's thoroughly mixed.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the preserves.