I don't know about you, but for our house, this has been the worst winter for sickness. It seems like every other week someone is coming down with something. This week was no different. Both Levi and Elijah were home sick with viruses. There might not be any magic medicine I can give them that will make it all go away, but I can make a pretty magical pot of Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup. Whether you're sick with a cold, or just in the mood for a bowl of down home deliciousness, this chicken noodle soup is where it's at! This one pot meal is enough to feed our family of six (plus have leftovers for lunch the next day)!
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 TBLS Butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 8 Chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 oz. Kluski Egg Noodles (I like Pennsylvania Dutch)
- Salt & Pepper
- 12 Cups Water
- Saute onion, carrots, celery, in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute for another two minutes.
2. Rinse the chicken (make sure you take out the little bag of innards if your bird has one of those). Place the chicken, breast side down, in the pot. Add 12 cups of water, bouillon cubes, fresh herbs, & bay leaves. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. Remove the chicken and put it in a separate bowl to cool. Careful - it will be pretty hot and the meat will be falling off the bone. Make sure you get any extra skin and bones out of the pot. Also take out the stems from the fresh herbs and the bay leaves.
4. As soon as the chicken is cool to the touch, remove the meat from the bones, shredding it with your fingers. While you're shredding the chicken, bring the broth back to boil. Add the Kluski Egg Noodles (if you can't find Kluski noodles, you can use regular egg noodles ((sometimes when I'm feeling really frisky I make my own)) and boil 9 minutes or until desired tenderness.
5. Turn the soup back to low and toss in the shredded chicken. Season with more salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.