Most people groan at the thought of making twice baked potatoes, simply because it just seems like extra work. My family loves their potatoes though and I"m always looking for ways to create new potato recipes and figured it was time to come up with my own Twice Baked Potato recipe - it is after all, the best of both worlds - baked and mashed all in one bite! A lot of the prep work for this recipe (frying and chopping the bacon, chopping green onions, shredding cheese) you can do while your potatoes are baking.
- 6 medium sized red potatoes (I like the red ones because I think their skins taste the best - but you can use whatever potatoes you like)
- 10 slices of bacon (or if you need to save time, you can use the "real bacon" "bacon bits")
- 6 green onions chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 TBLS butter
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 t. ranch seasoning (I use seasoning from the packets I mix with sour cream when I make ranch dip)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Scrub potatoes to remove any dirt. Using a fork, prick all around each potato about 6-8 times.
-Place potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake from one to one and a half hours depending on the size of your potatoes. Test your largest potato (stab it down the middle with a sharp knife) to make sure it's done.
-Pull out potatoes and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
-Cut potatoes in half. Spoon out the flesh from each potato and add to mixing bowl. (I like to leave a little bit of the potato along the edge of the skin because I think it helps the potato hold its shape a little bit better.) Arrange potato halves on a cookie sheet and set aside.
-Along with the potato, add in the butter, milk, salt, pepper, and sour cream. Using an electric mixer mix mashed potatoes until creamy.
-Add salt, pepper, ranch seasoning, 1/2 of the cheese and 1/2 of the chopped green onions. Mix until Incorporated.
- Fill potato skins with mashed potato mixture; top with remaining cheese, green onions, and bacon.
-Return potatoes to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.