I love baking cupcakes! They are so much fun to make and even more fun to eat! With Spring time finally here, I wanted to bring in some of my favorite flavors and blueberry is definitely one of them! I will be the first to admit, I don't like super sweet cupcakes. I'm always the one wiping off the frosting from my cupcake (unless its made with chocolate or cream cheese). I've always loved the simple flavors of shortbread cookies and I wanted to bring the same taste to some delicious cupcakes. Since Easter is just around the corner - I decided to decorate these adorable cupcakes with a chocolate coconut nest filled with berries and a Blue Raspberry Peep. It's just not Easter without Peeps! You can certainly make these cupcakes and enjoy them without the toppings, or make the nests and fill them with your own creative ideas! As always, the best cupcakes are made with ingredients that have been set out to room temperature!
Blueberry Shortbread CupcakesIngredients:
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 c. sour cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 pint of blueberries (plus extra if you want to decorate)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time until combined. Mix in vanilla.
2. Sift the flour and the baking soda. Add half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Add the sour cream. Finally add the rest of the flour mixture and stir until combined. Finish by adding the blueberries, stirring until combined.
3. Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full of badder and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Leave in the pan for 5 minutes after taking it out of the oven before moving them to a cooling rack.
Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup butter softenend
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 TBLS heavy cream
2. Add the vanilla and pinch of salt and combine. Finally add heavy cream to the mixture. Use immediately on cooled cupcakes or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Chocolate Coconut Nests:Ingredients:
- 30 Frosted Mini Wheats (finely crumbled)
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 2 TBLS brown sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter (melted)
- 2/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Mix together the crumbled Frosted Mini Wheats, coconut, brown sugar, and salt.
3. In a double boiler over the stove, melt together the butter and chocolate. Allow to cool slightly.
4. Pour chocolate mixture over the dry mixture and stir together with a fork.
5. Fill cupcake trays with the "nest" mixture pressing it into the bottom and the sides of each cupcake section.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Then place pan in the fridge for nests to harden for at least 4 hours (or overnight) 6. Peel foil away from the nests, fill, and enjoy!