Our first "Monday Night Meal" starts with my 5-yr. old son Elijah's choice - "Mama's Easy Chicken Pot Pie". One of the best things about Pot Pie is that you've got the entire meal (meat, veggies, bread (ie: crust)) in one dish. If you like a vegetarian meal, feel free to omit the meat and add more veggies! If I know I have a hungry crowd at the table I sometimes add a fruit salad as well, but you basically have dinner done in one dish! If you follow Our Southern Style and most of my recipes, you'll find that I like to cook as much as I can from scratch. In my quest to get my own kids in the kitchen, especially my younger ones, and in an effort to still find time during the week to prepare warm and comforting food, I've simplified this first recipe and it's become a family favorite! When it comes to "Mama's Easy Chicken Pot Pie", there's never any leftovers!
Mama's Easy Chicken Pot Pie**Makes 1 9" pie
- 3 lb pack of chicken breasts, cooked and cut into cubes (Olive oil, salt and pepper for seasoning)
-2 9" unbaked pre-made pie crusts (or you can make your own)
-1/3 onion diced
-2 cloves garlic minced
-1/3 cup butter
-2/3 cup flour
-1 (10oz.) can cream of chicken
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 t. salt
-1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 small 10oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- Place chicken in a glass baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until juices run clear.
-While chicken is baking, in a large saucepan, melt butter and saute onions until cooked and translucent in color (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and saute for another 45 seconds.
-Add flour and stir for a few minutes to cook. Add cream of chicken, milk, salt, and black pepper. Stir with a whisk until gravy thickens.
-Add bag of mixed vegetables to pot and stir until incorporated.
-Turn off the burner and set vegetable/gravy mixture aside.
- Roll out the first pie crust and place in the bottom of a 9" pie pan.
- Once the chicken has cooked and cooled, cut chicken into 1" cubes and add to the vegetable/gravy mix. I also like to add 1/3 to 1/2 of the chicken broth from the pan just to give my gravy mixture more chicken flavor. Stir mixture well to incorporate chicken and broth.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust
-Top the mixture with the second pie crust and pinch the edges firmly to close.
- Cut several slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until your pie crust is golden brown.
-Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Can't wait to hear how your family enjoys Mama's Easy Chicken Pot Pie! Make sure to check back next week for another "kid's choice" Monday Night Meal recipe!